Saint Margaret Mary School has a strong tradition of bringing Catholic education to the Harrisburg area community. Our school and parish have been part of the surrounding community for over 70 years now.
Today the vitality of the parish and school has never been better so please take a moment to learn more about our 70 year history of bringing faith based education to the children of our community. Saint Margaret Mary School includes a full-day Kindergarten through 8th grade. Our early childhood program includes two days a week morning and afternoon for 3 yr olds as well as a three day a week morning and afternoon Pre-K program. Extended care is available before and after school hours from 6:30A.M. until 5:30 PM.
St. Margaret Mary Parish was established in March, 1948 with Father Francis A. Kirchner serving as the first pastor. In October 1949 the school and chapel dedication took place. The School Sisters of Notre Dame taught in the school, and in 1955 the St. Margaret Mary Convent was built. With the growing Catholic community, an additional four classrooms were built in 1958. In 1970 the Oblates of Mary Immaculate were invited to serve St. Margaret Mary Parish. By 1979, half-day Kindergarten was added to the school. In 1985 the Sisters of Notre Dame departed from our school, and were replaced in July, 1986 by the Sisters of Mercy who resided in the convent and taught in the school. Due to the growing enrollment, a modular classroom building was added to the school in July 1987. In 1995 the Sisters of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ moved into the convent and helped with school and chapel activities.. In 1997, our A-STEP program began providing before and after-school care for our students. The program has since been integrated into the school and is supervised by teachers from the school. In 1998, St. Margaret Mary Parish celebrated its 50-year Jubilee. A Mass of Thanksgiving with Bishop Nicholas C. Dattilo as the main celebrant took place at the Cathedral of St. Patrick in Harrisburg on April 26, 1998. In the summer of 1999, extensive renovation was completed on the school building. Tragically, in February 2000, a fire destroyed the six modular classrooms in the back of the school. With the guidance of Father Mash and the overwhelming support of the local community and our parish family, a new annex consisting of six classrooms were attached to the main building in August, 2000.
In 2009 both 3 year old and Pre K programs were added and just two years later in 2011, after the completion of a new church off campus, the original church was turned into a gym and multi-purpose area for the school and parish community.
Parish-wide support is the solid foundation of the school, and makes it possible for Saint Margaret Mary School to keep its commitment to provide Catholic education. With their continued support and blessing from God our school will have plenty of bright